A Guide to the 7 Chakras, Crystals and Their Meanings
Chakras have only recently become more well-known, with the growth in popularity of yoga and New Age philosophies in general. They are a complex and ancient energy system that originated in India. They were first mentioned in the Vedas, ancient sacred texts of spiritual knowledge dating from 1500 to 1000 BC. There’s a lot one can study about them.
We all have energy centers, or chakras, in our body. In Sanskrit, a chakra is also known as a wheel or disk of spinning energy. This energy corresponds to nerve bundles and major organs.
Ideally, your chakras stay open and balanced, allowing them to function well. But life happens — and for one reason or another, our chakras can become unbalanced or blocked.
This can cause physical or emotional symptoms related to the blocked chakra.
Some people believe there are 114 different chakras in the body, but most experts focus on the seven major types.
The seven main chakras (listed by both their common name and Sanskrit name) include:
The 7 main chakras
- Root chakra (Muladhara).Responsible for your sense of security and stability, the root chakra is located at the base of your spine.
- Sacral chakra (Svadhisthana).Located just below your belly button, the sacral chakra is linked to your creative and sexual energy, as well as your emotions.
- Solar plexus chakra (Manipura). The solar plexus chakra, located in your stomach area, plays a role in your self-esteem and confidence.
- Heart chakra (Anahata). In the center of your chest, the heart chakra affects your ability to love and show compassion.
- Throat chakra (Vishuddha).Your throat chakra is connected to your ability to communicate and speak your inner truth.
- Third eye chakra (Ajna).Intuition, gut instinct, and imagination are all linked to the third eye chakra, which is located between your eyes.
- Crown chakra (Sahasrara).Your crown chakra, located at the top of your head, allows you to feel spiritually connected to the universe, yourself, and others.
Following are a few of my favorite crystals for the chakras for each major chakra center. These are most often related to the chakras based on their color vibration.
Root Chakra (Black, Brown & Red Stones):
- Red Pyrope Garnet
- Black Tourmaline
- Smoky Quartz
- Red Jasper
- Dravite Tourmaline
- Black Obsidian
- Petrified Wood
- Chiastolite (Cross Stone)
Sacral Chakra (Orange, Peach, & Brown Stones):
- Imperial Topaz
- Fire Opal
- Apricot Botswana Agate
- Spessartine Garnet
- Peach Moonstone
- Orange Calcite
- Peach Selenite
Solar Plexus Chakra (Yellow, Gold, & Chartreuse Stones):
- Yellow Topaz
- Golden Calcite
- Golden Tiger’s Eye
- Pineapple Calcite
- Yellow Sapphire
- Golden Quartz
Heart Chakra (Green & Pink Stones):
- Green Aventurine
- Rose Quartz
- Pink Calcite
- Watermelon Tourmaline
Throat Chakra (Light Blue, Blue, & Teal Stones):
- Blue Topaz
- Blue Lace Agate
- Ajoite Quartz
- Aqua Aura Quartz
- Blue Quartz
Third Eye Chakra (Indigo & Violet Stones):
- Lapis Lazuli
- Tanzan Aura Quartz
- Blue Tourmaline
- Blue Apatite
- Blue Kyanite
Crown Chakra (Violet, Gold, & White/Clear Stones):
- Clear Quartz
- Clear Calcite
- Spirit Quartz