Bacon Opal & Turquoise Inlay Silver Napkin Ring Cuff


  • En solde
  • Prix régulier $750.00
Frais de port calculés à la caisse.


Dating 1918 Birmingham, monogrammed with “F” and made by Charles S Green, this 105-year-old solid Sterling Silver Napkin Ring has been Up-cycled into a stunning statement piece of wearable art.

A gorgeous Cuff with a 50.25ct Bacon Opal & Turquoise Inlay Cabochon, hand stamped mounting plate; the entire cuff weighs 57g and has a diameter of 62mm.

AUD $750.00 + Shipping

Just a little History for you:

Silver napkin rings were invented by the European Bourgeoisie in the 18th century and made of diverse materials like wood, silver, porcelain, pearl, and more. Howbeit, no sooner than the 19th century, the concept, especially the use of silver napkin rings, had gone through all countries in the western world.  The increased wealth of the middle class at the time could be responsible for the surge in demand and popularity. Although, unlike other tableware, silver napkin rings were originally designed for hygiene rather than a luxury. Napkins played a significant role in dinner etiquette. 

By the latter part of the 18th century, Birmingham was becoming an important center of the silver industry. Silver was required to be assayed before sale but the nearest assay offices were either London or Chester. Industrialists from both Birmingham and Sheffield petitioned Parliament to be allowed to establish assay facilities local to each town. This petition was successful and the Birmingham and Sheffield Assay Offices were established by an Act of Parliament in 1773. The anchor was adopted as the assay office mark by Birmingham and the crown by Sheffield, supposedly as a result of the delegations meeting at a public house in London called the Crown and Anchor.

Charles S. Green and Co of Cogent Works, Birmingham. Business established by Charles S. Green, son and brother of the managers of Charles Green & Son. He was assisted in the business by his wife Winifred, a talented artist who designed all of the firm's early patterns. In 1907, the firm moved to Cogent Works, 54 St. Paul's Square. 1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Silver Ware and Electro-plate Silver Toilet Ware, Enamelled Silver Ware, Silver Cups and Bowls, Silver and Glass Goods, Cigarette Cases, and Boxes, Photo Frames, and General Electro-plate Goods. Birmingham Jewellers' and Silversmiths' Association Member. In 1982, the company moved to a new factory at Lionel Street, Birmingham.