October Birthstone Opal
Opal Facts & Folklore
- Australian aboriginal tribes believed that opals were the Creator’s footprints on Earth.
- Necklaces with opals set in them were worn to repel evil and to protect eyesight.
- Opals help to control temper and calm nerves. A dream of an opal means that good luck will come.
- Each opal is made of tiny spheres of amorphous hydrated silica; its water content makes it prone to cracking or crazing (many fine cracks). This can happen if the gem dries out, such as might occur when exposed to high temperatures or long periods of low humidity. The gem is relatively soft, with a hardness rating of only 5.5. (Never place an opal in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner: The vibrations can crack the gem.)
Opal Patterns - Chinese Writing Pattern and Straw Pattern
Chinese Writing Pattern: As seen on the left Like the appearance of the Chinese language characters. Straw Pattern: As seen on the right It resembles a piece of flattened straw crisscrossing each other. Harlequin Pattern: As seen on the bottom - right A Harlequin stone is the most prized of all opals. They are extremely rare and were often referred to by the old miners as tartan shirts opal. We've seen only seven patterns here. All stones are not perfectly categorized into some patterns. If you see 100 stones, you might find 100 different patterns from them. The image you get from...
Pin Fire Pattern and Palette Pattern
Pin Fire Pattern - Picture top This type of stone has many tiny coloured dots as their pattern. It is the most well-known pattern in opals. Palette Pattern - Picture bottom Like the palette for an artist, many colours are placed in the whole face of the stone. The stone has this type of pattern which is very beautiful and brilliant. cr: Black and Boulder Gemstory cr: Presti and Presti Lapidary
Opal Ribbon Pattern
Ribbon PatternThe opal which showing parallel bands of colour, and lying side by side in a manner, is called Ribbon Pattern. If those colours are totally different from each other or contrast the whole stone, it will increase more value and more brilliancy.cr: Black and Boulder Gemstorycr: photo: Investmentopals. cr: Presti and Presti Lapidary
The Secret of Opal Colours
The secret of the coloursWhy opal has colours ? Also why each stone has different colours and patterns ? We already know that opal is made from silica combined with water. Some other components have been found inside opal, but we think these other components will just make it complicated in explaining. Opal is a non-crystalline form of the mineral silica and is formed from amorphous "balls" or "lumps" of silica. So the opal is a very unique gem compared with others, like diamonds or a ruby which is formed crystalline. This is the reason why variation of colours are...
- Bacon Opal
- bacon opal with inlay turquoise
- Black Opal
- Boulder Opal
- Chinese Writing
- Coober pedy opal
- Fire Opal
- Lightning Ridge Opal
- matrix opal
- Mintabie Opal
- Palette Pattern
- pipe opal
- Qld Boulder Opal
- Ribbon Pattern
- Sterling Silver
- Straw Pattern
- Twists and turns
- Welo Opal
- Yowah Opal